Accent Reduction Therapy – How to Choose a Therapist?
There are various therapy programs and therapists who can offer help to minimize your accent. Accent reduction therapy is important for reducing or completely eliminating any accent. Read on to know how to choose a therapist for accent reduction therapy.
Here are a few points which you should keep in mind while choosing a speech-language therapist for reducing your accent:
• First and foremost, think hard why you want to minimize your accent. You must know that it is not an easy task to change the speaking patterns, hence, one must have the right motivation to carry on with the therapy.
• You can also do your own research online and find either online or local professional who can help you. But, it is always advised to consult a speech-language pathologist because they are qualified in different types of speech therapy and treatment. Also, they can devise various strategies to help you.
• You can select 2 to 3 speech-language therapists. Call the SLP with whom you will be working with. Hence, you can hear how they speak actually as they will be your guide during the therapy to reduce your accent. You can even ask some questions to get a overall feel of how you might interact with him or her during the therapy sessions. It is important that you feel comfortable with the person you plan your therapy sessions with.
• You can schedule an evaluation session with the SLP you felt more at ease and comfortable. This introductory session will aid you in deciding whether you like working with him or her.
• You must remember that the accent reduction therapy is a long process. It might take awhile to reduce your accent and change the speaking patterns. Your SLP will modify the session to meet your specific targets and needs. He or she may also give you things to work on between your therapy sessions. You must work on these practice activities because they really help make your progress faster. Also, these practice activities maintain you steady progress!