What Is Wernickes Aphasia – Causes, Symptoms, And Types
A young teenager who would grow to be a handsome man was sitting next to me. He was whispering something to his mom and she struggled to understand him. Strange I thought to myself. But, later his mother told me that he has Wernickes Aphasia. I had no clue what she was talking but didn’t prod her too much. The only thing I could understand was that it is a language problem, and, browsed the internet to understand more about it.
Let Us Try And Understand What Is Wernickes Aphasia In Brief:
It is a neurological disorder which affects the language ability of a person. It is caused by any damage or injury to the temporal lobe or the side portion of the brain. The patient faces trouble understanding written and spoken language, though the speaking abilities are intact. Rhythm, tone, structure, and grammar are all correct but the speech is full of non-existential words.
What Are The Causes?
Following are the reasons that can lead to the situation:
- Any injury to the sides of the brain left or right, called temporal lobes is a major cause.
- Stroke – rupture of blood vessels in the brain.
- Any illness affecting the normal function of brain.
- Traumatic Brain Injury.
- And blow on head are some of the reasons for this condition.
What Are The Symptoms?
- It is a condition in which a patient’s speaking pitch, rhythm, and rate is fluent, but the speech is laden with non-existential words.
- They say imaginary words and replace the exact words.
- Ability to read, write, understand, and to speak is marred.
- They tend to skip prepositions and other parts of speech.
- Their speech is grammatically incorrect.
- Their ability to understand things is poor.
- Like the speech, their writing is also full of jargon and imaginary words.
Types Of Receptive Aphasia:
Receptive or fluent aphasia is sub divided into three types, and they are:
- Pure deafness, a situation where a person can hear but cannot understand words.
- Alexia, a condition in which a person can read but cannot understand it.
- Visual asymbolia, is a state in which the words written by patient are not organized and cannot be recognized.
These are some of the causes and symptoms of wernickes aphasia. If you know any person with these signs then it is better to take him/her to a therapist at the earliest.