Treatments For Autism – Available Options
Children and adults with any medical, psychological, or physical condition can recover faster when an encouraging, supporting, and care giving family is around. Likewise, Treatments For Autism patient too needs a healthy family environment, proper therapy, acceptance, and love to deal with the situation. Though there is no cure for this disorder, the severity of the symptoms can be reduced to a large extent with behavior therapy, support, and with proper education.
Treatments For Autism:
The aim of all the support and therapy for autism is to give a good quality life to the individual suffering form this disorder. It is believed that the symptoms of autism can be observed in infants as early as 18 months. Any suspicion should not be ignored and a visit to the pediatrician can bail you out of the condition much earlier. The earlier you identify the better it is to treat the child.
- Pivotal Response Therapy: It helps improve the child’s motivation, self-management, self-care, response to clues, and initiating social interactions.
- Behavior Therapy: This therapy aims at decreasing the severity of the symptoms associated with the disorder and improving the interacting abilities. It is also important in developing everyday skills, and increasing the efficiency required for day to day functioning.
- Communication Help: Autistic individuals have difficulty in expressing their ideas, feelings, emotions, and thoughts etc, both verbally and non-verbally to others. Communication help is aimed to improve their skills to speak out their mind and also let others know what they need.
- Relationship Mode: Acceptance, unconditional love, not comparing with others, encouraging them to live a healthy and good life, and aiding in reducing the difficulties of this syndrome are the basic things this mode of therapy aims at. It is best provided by immediate family, concerned friends, therapist, and care givers.
- Sensory Integration: children and adults with this syndrome are usually found to be very sensitive towards certain sensory stimuli. For example, they might find some particular sound too disturbing, or even the rays of light unbearable, etc. This program helps decrease the intensity of their reaction.
- Patterning: Different exercises are designed for the targeted neurological impairments. These exercises help the child gain certain dexterity.
- Drug Therapy: It is aimed to treat some of the symptoms of the disorder like seizures, anxiety, sleep disturbance, etc. It helps the individual relax using prescribed medicines.
Apart from these treatments for autism, parents should also meet other families with an autistic member, join support groups, and talk to others who are dealing with the same issue. It is always the family which supports the individual completely and gives unconditional love and acceptance that cannot be replaced with any therapy.